Therapy for Children:

We are divorced. What's the process for getting my child into counseling?

The first thing required in order for us to see your child is a copy of your divorce decree. We do not need the entire decree, but we do need the portion that details both parents' rights and duties. It is a Texas State Board of Professional Counselors ethical requirement that a copy of this portion of the decree be kept in the child's file. Depending on the actual wording of your rights in the document, both parents may be required to consent (in writing) before counseling can begin. In some cases, the written consent of only one parent is required.

If the consent of both parents is required, and we are divorced, do we have to attend the initial session together?

No. It isn't necessary to attend the session together. However, if your divorce decree states that both parents must consent to counseling for your child and you choose not to attend the session together, each of you will need to schedule individual appointments to come in, discuss the issues of concern, and sign the consent forms. If you are using your child's insurance, it may or may not cover the second initial session.

What is Play Therapy?

Play Therapy is a way of working with children that best meets their needs based on their development. Play therapy allows children to ``talk`` in a way that's natural for them. This includes making art, playing games, acting out scenes, and other active methods of helping children express themselves. Using play as a form of communication allows the therapist to better understand what the child is experiencing and through play children can learn new ways of coping and expressing themselves. Play therapy comes in many forms and is provided by a variety of mental health professionals. Therapists should only provide play therapy if they have been trained to do so. Therapists at The Counseling Spot who see children for play therapy have been specially trained to do so.

General Questions:

How long will we/I/my child be in counseling?

The short answer is, it depends. If the issues you or your child are facing are transitional, such as difficulty adjusting to a life change, it may be a relatively short process. If instead the issues are ongoing or related to past or present trauma, the process may take longer. It's important to remember that you are free to decide to end counseling at any time if you don't believe it's helpful.

Will you (will counseling) help me/us/my child?

There is no guarantee that counseling will help, or that any one of our counselors will be right for you. For decades, data have shown that the relationship between the counselor and the client is the most important factor in successful counseling. Therefore, it's important that you and your counselor develop a trusting and professional working relationship. As a team, you and your counselor should discuss your goals and progress regularly. We encourage you to let your counselor know if you/your child aren't feeling better or seeing progress. Often, adjustments can be made to meet your needs. If not, we will refer you to another professional better suited to your needs.

Insurance and Payment Questions:

Which insurance plans do you accept?

We accept Aetna, BCBS, Cigna,/Evernorth, ComPsych, United/Optum, and TriCare. You'll need to check with your particular counselor to see which of these networks they participate in. Professional Counselor Associates and Marriage and Family Therapy Associates do not accept insurance, and istead offer a reduced private-pay rate for counseling services.

What forms of payment do you accept?

We accept MC/VISA/Discover/AmEx, including Health Savings Account cards, cash, and check. Checks should be made payable to The Counseling Spot.